Erin Kelley, CPA
Senior Tax Associate
Personal Formation and Forte
Erin graduated Summa Cum Laude from Maryville College with a Bachelor of Arts in art history in addition to receiving honors thesis recognition. Upon graduation, Erin managed a small, independent bookstore in Knoxville for two years. While there she learned how to select books for her personal clientele, buy from distributors, and other imperative skills to keep the business rolling. So it follows that accounting, financial reporting and taxes became essential to her role and sparked a redirection of her career towards public accounting. She confirmed this decision during stints as a graduate teaching assistant and tax preparer. She reentered academia to earn a Master of Accountancy degree with a concentration in taxation at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
Erin possesses the two critical qualities to succeed in her profession: a motivation to study and master complex matters coupled with a desire to give her clients peace of mind about having their affairs in good order. She has empathy for hard-working individuals and understands first-hand the challenges of managing a business. Erin's creativity, command of language and dry wit grace her modest interface with clients and team members alike.
- Establishing her independence while studying and exploring abroad, e.g., hopping a train in Newcastle, England bound for an outpost in Scotland to nurture her newest hobby interest.
- Learning to knit from her paternal grandmother, eventually leading her to leverage this solo hobby into forming and teaching a co-ed class to make blankets for the Child Advocacy Center in Maryville, Tennessee.
- Discovering an affinity for the organizational aspects of accounting while managing a bookstore.
As a member of the professional team, Erin's areas of focus include:
- Tax compliance and planning,
- Family office services, and
- Accounting and financial reporting.
Erin's favorite past-time is relaxing with family, especially with her sister and childhood best friend. In her spare time, Erin actively pursues her artistic interests through spinning and knitting. She is an officer and member of the Tennessee Valley Handspinners' Guild. Weather permitting, Erin also enjoys leisurely hikes in the Smokies during which she is on the lookout for the variety of flora and wildlife the local park has to offer. Mountain streams and good books are among her restorative resources. She aspires to travelling the world with a special interest in Australia where she holds family ties.